Today is my BIRTHDAY! Another year older, yet none the wiser!
Every year when my birthday comes around I take a moment to reflect on the previous year and what I achieved during this time. You’re able to accomplish so much over the course of a year and it’s amazing to acknowledge exciting and memorable things that have happened. Considering how much you can achieve and learn over 1 year, it’s amazing what I’ve learnt over the last 24 years!
1. Learn to love yourself! Now this is something that has taken me about 23 years to learn to appreciate myself as I am!
2. Travel as long and as far as you can. Explore as much of the world as possible while you are able and haven’t got any major commitments tying you to your home.
3. A second language is beneficial, when I was travelling I envied the other travellers who’s first language wasn’t English as they worked so hard to learn it.
4. It’s important to be yourself, no matter what happens don’t loose your identity trying to impress or fit in with the cool kids.
5. Never take people for granted, appreciate the people in your life and pay attention to them.
6. Try or learn something new. This year I took up a weekly acting class and it was the best decision, I’m learning more about myself as we have to focus on what type of actors we are.
7. Choose your friends wisely as not everyone you meet is going to be a true friend, make sure you know their agenda before you get stuck in their drama that you shouldn’t be involved in.
8. It’s hard to get anywhere without taking a few risks, so take the plunge and do the things you love.
9. Be healthy, choose your meals wisely, eat some vegetables and drink plenty of water.
10. … but also remember to treat yourself.
11. Work out on a regular basis as fitness has been scientifically proven to release endorphins what make us happy, working out can also improve your eating habits as your body craves the healthier options. I now have weekly Personal Trainer sessions, pole fitness, yoga and go to the gym. I aim for 5 sessions a week!
12. Find a form of fitness you love, for me I found pole dancing and it’s become one of my greatest passions in life, I plan my week around my classes.
13. Don’t believe everything you hear. Now if you’re a tad gullible like me it may be more of a challenge to filter what’s true and false but just remember to use common sense.
14. We are only human, you’re not wonder woman but you can do your best to achieve the impossible.
15. Set yourself realistic goals that are achievable. Do you remember SMART targets from school? Well if you apply this logic to your day-to-day and yearly goals you’ll be surprised how far you can go!
16. Easy jobs aren’t always the best thing, just because a job is simple and you think it’s “easy money” doesn’t mean it’s the right decision to make. Remember to continue to chase your dreams and enjoy your job, you don’t want to wake up one day and realise you’re in a career your dislike.
17. Stoping thinking so much and just live! Don’t overthink things, try living in the moment, and being happy for no reason. Just enjoy life as it comes.
18. Let it be and stop holding grudges, this only leads to bitterness and is a waste of your time, learn to let go of angry and resentment.
19. Don’t depend on technology! Now, I know it’s difficult to live without your iPhone but try and take a few hours every week away from technology. Go on a hike, go for coffee with the people you were texting, break away from the ties of the digital world and enjoy life its self.
20. Everyone has insecurities, its not just me!
21. Don’t cry over material possessions, for me this is the modern day take on “don’t cry over split milk”. If your iPhone breaks, yes its a downer but it’s not the end of the world.
22. Stick to what you believe, don’t change your opinion based on someone elses. Stay true to yourself and don’t let people twist your beliefs or choices in life.
23. Learn to appreciate “me time”, some people can’t stand their own company whereas I’ve learnt to love it. It’s a great feeling when you know you can survive by yourself.
24. You have to work hard to achieve your goals! Life isn’t easy, no one is going to hand you the end results to your goals, you have to work hard for it.